Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

i awoke this morning with red dots before both eyes, now I

i awoke this morning with red dots before both eyes, now I see as though I have sun glasses on. What causes red dots before the eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Any history of diabetes?

Is it the same in both eyes?

Has your distance vision been affected ?

Is it more like a single dot or more like multilpe dots floating in front of the eyes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No diabetes

the dots were the same in both eyes - they went away after five or ten minutes, left me with darker vision, which is getting better as time goes by

my distance vision was affected, but is now o.k. again

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

As the episode has been foe few minutes only with no residual deficits in the vision, I feel it is more likely to be due to an episode of ocular migraine ( typically lasts for 15-20 minutes only and may or maynot be associated with headache). This is not a very serious condition and can be recurrent. It only requires analgesics if there is any headache or pain around the eyes.

But I would be concerned if there was a brief loss of vision ( for few minutes ) as it can be seen as a forewarning of emboli in the retinal vessels. This can be confirmed by dilating the pupils and looking at the retina , by an ophthalmologist. It does not require any treatment for the eye but necessitates a complete cardicac work up to look out for possible emboli . I suggest you first consult an ophthalmologist , so that the above can be confirmed and if need be you may be referred to a cardiologist.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist