Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

What causes swollen, red, itchy eyes & can the excessive use

What causes swollen, red, itchy eyes & can the excessive use of a fly spray be the cause?
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Generally, when eyes are significantly itchy and become also swollen and red, these are hallmark signs of an allergy. Literally millions of things can serve as allergens, so a fly spray could certainly be the cause, although it wouldn't be at the top of my list. I would think first of seasonal allergies or some environmental allergy (dust mites in pillows, a new soap, lotion or fragrance, etc.). Does that make sense and does that answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer:

This condition of my eyes has now been a week & there is no improvement

Doctor DanB :

What kinds of things have you tried to help the condition?

Customer:

Yes, all the medication I have listed.

Doctor DanB :

What I would suggest is starting out with doing a couple of basics. Cool compresses several times a day for several days. I would also suggest using artificial tears 4-5x/day. In addition, an anti-allergy eye drop called Pataday (prescription) works very well for allergies. I would continue taking the fexofenadine and would also consider starting montelukast (called Singulair in the U.S.). It will likely take some time for this to resolve but this should help. You may need to kick start it with the FML drops and hydrocortisone ointment, but shouldn't have to stay on those long. Does that help address your concerns?

Customer:

Thank you. How quickly will my eyes heal?

Doctor DanB :

It may take a week or so before they begin to look normal, but I would expect that in 2-3 days your eyes should start to feel significantly better.

Customer:

Many thanks & good bye