Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

hello, my eyes have been burning and watering. I think it may

hello, my eyes have been burning and watering. I think it may be the hot weather and poor air quality. I live in the Southern California. My nose occasionally runs as well. I think it may be allergies also. I do wear contacts, but not when I'm at work. I wear them on nights and weekends. What do you think may be causing the burning and watery eyes. I'm 44 years old. I saw the answer to the post on the older woman who was experiencing a problem with mebobian glands. Do you think it may be that. I also occasionally have Blepheritis, but when my eye doctor checked for that last month, he couldn't find any mattering in my eye lashes. When I blink it is sometimes blurry afterward in my right eye. The right eye waters and burns more than the left eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

If you've been diagnosed with blepharitis it is a very strong bet that it is the cause of your burning and eye watering. Allergic conjunctivitis certainly can play a role in those symptoms as well, but if you're not experiencing significant eye itching, I wouldn't suspect that to be the case.

I noticed you've tried scrubbing your eyelids for blepharitis. I think this is a good thing to do. I would do it as part of a daily regimen of morning hot compresses (5-10 minutes, as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging your eyelids while they are on there) and then doing eyelash scrubs. What works well is if you take 4-5 drops of Johnson's baby shampoo and put it in 1/4 cup warm water; then use a qtip dipped in that solution and scrub on the eyelashes of all 4 eyelids for 15 seconds per eyelid, then rinse the solution out. The thing that is important about this therapy is it needs to be done every day for it to be successful. Also, it does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this every day before you may notice a significant effect. Because it takes that long of doing it every day before a significant effect is noticed, I recommend using artificial tears 4x/day in both eyes consistently every day until you've been doing the compresses and lid scrubs for about a month. After that, you can start backing down on the tears to as you need to, but if you start by using the artificial tears only when you feel like you need them, they usually don't work for any longer than a few minutes after placing the drop.

These are baseline treatments for blepharitis. If you're doing this faithfully and yet you're not completely better, you may require an antibiotic/steroid combination to eliminate some of the inflammation in the tears and some bacteria that like the inflammatory environment in the tear film.

The reason it blurs when you blink is because the layer of tears in front of your eye (tear film) is not healthy because of the blepharitis and it is this tear film which is responsible for clear/fine vision. A disrupted tear film like yours causes you to have blurry vision from time to time that changes upon blinking and is worse with computer work, reading, watching TV, or driving (all activities that keep your eyes open for longer periods at a time).

Does this help answer your questions?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, that seems to make sense. The blepharis comes and goes for some reason. I recently went to the Upper Pennisula of Michigan for vacation. I was fine before I left. Since returning a couple of weeks ago, it seems that the burning, watery and red eyes have started. My eyes were red at first and then a few days later, the tearing and burning started. I thought at first it might be allergies, but then medication has not seemed to work.

The homeopathic drops do help provide some relief, but I think I may get the artificial tears you recommended. The weather here is hot and dry and there is a lot of wind. My eyes seem to tear more when there is a lot of wind. Also, my eyes have been very sensitive to sunlight. I was outside last weekend and didn't have my sunglasses. I could barely see because it was so bright, but I did have my contacts on. Is the increases sensitivity to sunlight also a symptom of blepheritis ?

The blepharitis, when untreated, causes a dry eye which then is more susceptible to wind, change in atmosphere/environment, allergens when can lead to light sensitivity. The blepharitis, unfortunately, is not something you contract or catch, but is just part of the way you're made and so it won't ever go away. To that end, I would just suggest making the hot compresses and eyelid scrubs a part of your daily routine, like you brush your teeth and hair, you do compresses and lid scrubs. You do tend to lose the effect when you stop them. I think you won't have those relapses if you do them everyday.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, yes that helps. Thank you very much
Wonderful. I wish you well and hope you feel better. I'd be happy to help you again in the future if you need it.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology