Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am suffering from Retinitis Pigmentosa. Is there any treatment

Customer Question

I am suffering from Retinitis Pigmentosa. Is there any treatment available for this yet? What kind of tests are recommnded to determine the severity of problem? Could you please guide me to a good eye hospital or experienced eye specialist in my area (Zip code 60090)? What should be the steps to prevent this disease transmitted to my child?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

First of all, as far as a standarized, accepted treatment to cure or reverse the effects of retinitis pigmentosa, there isn't a treatment available. However, there is exciting research going on into several key areas of treatment in RP, including gene therapy. You actually live very close to a good academic medical center where an eye institute is available that does research into RP. Their website is http://www.uic.edu/com/eye/. One of their articles about the research they are doing on RP is at http://www.uic.edu/com/eye/Department/News/eyedropsimproveRPshtml.html. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to prevent this being transmitted to your child; if they've received the genes for it, then it may or may not express itself and if it does it may or may not express itself severely or completely.

Does that help answer your questions?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.