Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My left eye is sore, it feels as though it is slightly bru

Customer Question

My left eye is sore, it feels as though it is slightly bruised. It doesn't hurt, no pain, just uncomfortable and feels tired.
it eases off slightly when I close it.
I have a chalzion cyst on my other eyelid and do have slight roscaea on my face.
It has been like this for 3 weeks, but I have had the cyst on the other eye for 2 months.
That doesn't hurt nor is it infected.
But my left eye feels uncomfortable, no lumps or anything, just sore.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

There can be a number of things that can cause this sensation: dry/irritated eyes (very common), headaches (including migraines), inflammation behind the eye (uncommon), inflammation in the eye (not very common), and even glaucoma (quite uncommon).

Dry eyes can cause burning, irritation, a foreign-body sensation, achy pressure, sharp stabbing pains. It does typically manifest later on in the day after we've used our eyes a fair amount, moreso than in the morning, but there is a type of dry eye that can be worse in the morning.

Migraines tend to be accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to bright lights or loud noises and some kind of visual phenomena usually described as shimmering lights variably around spots you don't see well through in the vision. Run of the mill tension headaches can produce these as well.

Inflammation behind the eye and inside the eye would be accompanied by a significantly red eye and sensitivity to light. Glaucoma causing this type of pain would either be associated with intense pain and nausea/vomiting or halos around lights. None of these things are common though.

Dry eyes are the most likely cause. I would start by using artificial tears, 4x/day in both eyes. But the key to using these is they must be consistently used in a scheduled fashion for them to work. And they must be used 4x/day, daily for a few weeks (3-4 weeks) before you can know if this is going to help and if dry eyes may be a cause. When you use artificial tears only when you feel like you need them then they only last a few seconds (the effect) and does nothing to change the overall course of the problem. I would also recommend using cool compresses. You may also consider using tylenol or advil with this pain to augment the lubrication to see if this helps.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer:

Thank you so much. I will try the artificial tears firstly. I don't get any pain or stabbing pains, but sometimes my eye feels like it is pulsating like a heartbeat.

Customer:

I don't know what Tylenol is or Advil as I am from the UK and not heard of them.

Customer:

Cool compresses then, not warm ones?

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Cool compresses can help with discomfort. For a certain type of dry eye that stems from inflammation in the eyelids, then hot compresses in the morning for 5-10 minutes on a daily basis helps to treat that. Sorry about using the brand names. Tylenol is acetaminophen and Advil is ibuprofen.

Hope that helps!