Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

PRK eye surgery done..extremely sensitve to light indoors and outdoors

Nearly four weeks ago I had PRK eye surgery done. I am still extremely sensitve to light indoors and outdoors. I wear sunglasses outside.My question is if there is a lighter coloured ,anti-glare, nonprescription eyeglasses that I can wear inside.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

When was your last visit your ophthalmologist?
What type of sunglasses are you wearing now?

My last visit was three days ago. He had told me that I was healing slow. I am wearing sunglasses that they have provided.

Dr. James :

Thank you for the additional information. For most people, they are most light sensitive during the first week after surgery. It is very important for lubricate your eyes. Often, chilled artificial tears will help with the discomfort.

Dr. James :

There are glasses made any all variety of tints. Many of them of sold over the counter without prescription.

Dr. James :

You may be able to go to an optometrist and get custom sunglasses without any prescription in them.

Dr. James :

But the best thing at this time would be to use dark glasses when outside in the sun, lubricate your eyes, and notify your doctors of any changes.