Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

i have ptosis, especially in one eye, and its getting worse

i have ptosis, especially in one eye, and it's getting worse as I age (I'm 53). My mother also had it. Is surgery effective? the droop is starting to cover my eye

Hello and thanks for your question. Surgery is usually very effective. It is an outpatient procedure, done with local anesthetic. You tend to look a bit beat up for a couple of days, but after that, most people are quite happy with the results.

Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for the info. Do you know if it's considered a cosmetic procedure, ie wondering if insurance covers it.

That is a good question. There is a test your eye doctor can do called a visual field test, which is something insurance companies would require before they would pay for the procedure. If the eyelid is significantly obstructing the vision based on the results of this test, then it is considered a medical condition and insurance pays for it. If not, then it is considered cosmetic and you would have to pay for it out of pocket.

Does that help?