Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

what help is available for adult strabismus

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question.

Doctor DanB :

Adult strabismus is essentially a surgical problem. Unlike children who may receive some benefit in straightening the yes from wearing a particular prescription of glasses, adults don't respond to any particular glasses as far as straigtening the eyes. If the strabismus is solely from a predisposition for the eyes not to work together (this may have been evident at a younger age, or may have been a problem at a younger age), then the decision as to whether or not to do surgery depends on function (whether or not you can do your visual activities of daily living without double vision) and on cosmesis (some people deem it cosmetically unacceptable to have a misaligned eye). If the strabismus is acute (just happened), then depending on what caused it (a nerve going out, trauma, or other diseases such as myasthenia gravis), the treatment has to be tailored to the cause. Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer:

This problem has gotten worse gradually over the past 4 years. I need some guidance to a medical professional in Sydney Australia

Customer:

The eye has been moving over the past 4 years. It is now critical and the discomfort is present all of the time. I need a reference to a medical professional in Sydnet Australia

Doctor DanB :

It sounds as though you probably do have a predisposition for the eyes to not stay aligned. Unfortunately, being an ophthalmologist in the U.S., I don't have any contacts with ophthalmologists in Sydney, Australia. But after doing a quick search for strabismus trained ophthalmologists in Sydney, I found a Dr. Harry Leung who is trained to do this. His website is: http://www.southernophthalmology.com.au/harry-leung.html. I hope that is helpful.

Customer:

Thank you very much - the information that I could find on the local inernet was mainly for children

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. I hope that it is helpful and that you are able to get the help you need.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology