Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My eyes are are irratated and leaking water, filling gradually

My eyes are are irratated and leaking water, filling gradually with water all day long... this has been going on for 6 weeks. I went to an opthalmologist who said it was severe dry eye and gave me over the counter med. I have used it for almost 10 days and my eyes are still the same. It feels like the water is squeezing out from behind my eyes. My daughter had the same symptoms a month before mine started. Sometimes just before the water fills I feel pinching sensations that seem to be behind the eye or at the inner corner of the eye near tear duct, other times at the outside corners. Neither of us have gotten any real answers?

A watery eye is usually due to one of a few problems: 1. the eyelids not being positioned correctly (surgery, trauma, skin loosening as we age or a Bell's palsy can cause this); 2. There is some inflammation inside or on the eye (corneal scratches or infections and/or iritis) and the eye responds by being light-sensitive and also waters. This is usually not a chronic condition, but a solitary event; or 3. Dry eye.

By far dry eye is the most common cause of tearing. It sounds backwards to attribute tearing to a dry eye, but when the eye is dry, the eye sends a signal to the brain that tells the eye to water, but the watering is usually not sufficient to keep the eye hydrated over the long haul. There are many reasons to have a dry eye. Some of the most common are: not making enough of your own tears, having eyelid inflammation called blepharitis, allergies, living in a dry/windy/dusty environment and some medicines (antihistamines commonly).

One of the first things to do to start treating dry eye is to start using artificial tears 4x/day for a few weeks. It must be consistent, daily use, however, or it won't work. Then, if there is mattering or crusting on the eyelashes in the morning and the eyes burn, sting or feel more irritated in the morning than the evening, then a daily regimen of hot compresses on the eyes x 10 minutes, followed by scrubbing the eyelashes with a dilute baby shampoo solution will help treat eyelid inflammation. If these things are done consistently, it is likely that you will have a noticeable improvement, but you must be consistent about them.

Does this make sense and does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What about cold compresses? I will try the regime you described. Thanks

Cool compresses can be used throughout the day, but warm compresses should be used at least once daily in association with the baby shampoo scrubbing of the eyelashes. Good luck!