Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I am planning a snorkeling trip in a few weeks and I wear corrective

I am planning a snorkeling trip in a few weeks and I wear corrective lenses. I am wanting to buy a prescription dive mask online. My prescription sphere number is XXXXX what most of the companies have listed of lenses available in stock. My OD is -5.25 and the OS is -6.25. Would there be a noticeable difference in my vision if I ordered OD -5.00 or OD -5.5 and likewise OS -6.00 or -6.5. This mask is only going to be worn for a few hours, 2 or 3 times a year. I really don't like the idea of paying nearly $400.00 for a custom made mask when the ones I am looking at online are under $150.00
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Actually, if the prescription you're telling me is your contact lens prescription you would need to have the mask have a little more myopia (near-sightedness) in it, anyway. So if the right were -5.5 and the left were -6.5 that would probably get you pretty close, at least for your purposes anyway. Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

The corrective lenses I am speaking of are eyeglasses

Doctor DanB :

I still think you'll do okay with the -5.00 or -5.25 OD and for either the -6.00 or -6.5 OS. If I were you I would choose the smaller of the two choices and be left a hair blurry versus choosing the stronger of the two and chance not being able to tolerate them.