Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

If one eye has an opaque cataract and the other eye is healthy,

If one eye has an opaque cataract and the other eye is healthy, how will their irises behave?

Will both be governed by the healthy eye or will the two irises act independently to light.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

The irises/pupils behave in a yoked fashion. They will behave based upon the eye with the most light/input going to the retina, which would be the eye without the cataract. So the pupil in the eye with the cataract should behave as does the pupil in the eye without the cataract. Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
I am still here and will await your response.