Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have cysts in the corner of both eyes is it worth pricking

I have cysts in the corner of both eyes is it worth pricking them or to have them removed?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

These cysts of the conjunctiva are usually benign and tend to fluctuate and go away on their own. So, no, I don't think it is worth any potential complications to try pricking them. And because they usually resolve on their own, I don't think it's worth having them removed, especially since they could easily come back again if removal is attempted.

Does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had these cysts for five months now and they have not gone away yet.

I have been examined by an eye specialist at Ashford Eye Hospital and he is

willing to operate, but I am very nervous. Perhaps he should have pricked them

out when he offered to. I didn't know that they could return.

Thank you for your help on this.

I understand your angst at the position you're in. The reason they can return is because a cyst is a cavity of fluid with a wall of cells around it and if only a little bit of that cyst wall is left behind it can form the cyst again. Thankfully, usually nothing bad happens if they reform, you're just left with the same problem again. In that respect, draining them tends to be the most palatable option for many people, if the cysts are causing them discomfort. You may consider speaking with the eye specialist and getting his opinion about it, but I think you have both options to consider.

Does that help?

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology