Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Based on Amsler Grid Test Macular degeneration due to myopy

Customer Question

Based on Amsler Grid Test Macular degeneration due to myopy was detected. Age 68, myopy -11 since childhood, Tomography shows how the retina does not stick to the end of the eye ball. Laser treatment not possible. Taking multivitamine (retilut) 2 cps / day. Have been treated against Central Nervous System Vasculitis (CNSV) 8 years ago. Had Heart problem and taking the usual drugs for blood coagulation (Plavix AND Aspirine Cardio AND Sintrom 1mg/day to get INR values between 2 and 3. At beginning of treatment had max of 6 and min. of 1.5 until more or less stabilized now. Blood pressure stabilized around ideal values.
Question: What possible outcome for my macular degeneration ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Macular degeneration due to myopia can have severe effects in the eye due to degeneration of the cones in the macula ( leads to severe reduction in vision and loss of color vision too. Often there can be new vessels in the choroid layer resulting in a foster fuch's spot. To regress these new vessels intravitreal injections of avastin( or lucentis) can be given in multiple sittings. Other methods of treatment include PDT( photodynamic therapy) and lasers for CRNV( choroidal new vessels). I suggest you discuss with your ophthalmologist about these treatment options as he is the best person to guide about which method will suit your eye based on the findings in the eye and the extent of new vessels.

Results of any of these methods of treatment will depend on the density of new vessels , extent of degeneration of the cones and how many residual nerve fibres are functional. Once the new vessels regress there is scope for some improvement in vision ( upto 2 lines in the snellen's chart can be expected ).

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. A positive mark for you. Just a compementary information. A tomography was made and clearly shows the section of the eye. Was not told about injections and laser teraphy was not recommended at the Barraquer clinic in Barcelona, one of the leaders in laser treatment.
Thank you so much.

As the tomography does show a shallow detachment of the retina, the possibility of new vessels underneath or a macular hole is possible. As laser is completely ruled out by your ophthalmologist, I'm afraid only intravitreal injections can be thought of provided they have seen signs suggestive of it .

Wish you the best.

Do not press the accept button again as you have already done so.