Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a problem with my left eye only. I go to sleep and

I have a problem with my left eye only. I go to sleep and when I wake, the eye is swollen. It happens now about every two weeks. It sometimes, like today, is very swollen and other times, not so much. I am tired of this happening and was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent it from happening.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Puffiness or swelling around the eyes can be due to various reasons. When acute , it can be due to allergy ( exact allergen cannot be pin-pointed). It resolves with anti-allergy treatment like syrup benedryl, 2 teaspoons at bedtime for 1 week.

If chronic , we have to rule out systemic conditions like chronic hypertension or diabetes, or states of water retension in the body. As the soft tissue around the eyes is very spongy it can accumalate water causing puffiness around the eyes. It would need a detailed check up by a physician for a complete blood work up .

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist