Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Brain..extremely..retina..sight in her left eye was severley damaged

Customer Question

Hello, I am desperately seeking help for my 41 yo daughter Kerrie who suffered a Brain Heamorage and conseqently a stroke on the 6th April. Kerrie is progressing nicely with her walking and balance problems but is extremely upset with her affected eyesight. As a 14 yo she suffered a detached retina following an accident and the sight in her left eye was severley damaged. After the stroke her right eye was also affected with no perifical sight.
Her right eye is turned and does not blink. I think this is what is making her see double. Her biggest problem seems to be that both her eyes "Jump" or maybe it could be called flickering. This makes it hard for her to focus. We would love to know if there is anything to help improve this or any excercises that she could do. Thanking you in anticipation,
Carol Landy
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Please allow me to summarize what I'm hearing from you and if you would please correct me if I'm wrong, I can then make accurate recommendations. It sounds as though she does not have useful vision in her left eye from the retinal detachment, and that since age 14, she has primarily functioned using the vision in her left eye, correct? it also sounds like the stroke did two things to her vision: 1. Took part of her peripheral vision away, and 2. Made her right eye so it doesn't move appropriately and doesn't blink appropriately. Please tell me if her right eye is turned in or if it is turned down and out. Thanks.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

I'm still here. Aside from her peripheral vision being affected in her right eye, is the overall clarity of the vision in her right eye affected? Can she see well up close and far away still out of the right eye?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You are right that her right was previously doing most of the work. You are also right that her right eye does not move as it should. I would say from my observations that her right eye is more turned up. Thank you

Her vision seems to be ok, just not able to focus with the jumping. She can see very close up but not far away

Many times a stroke can cause damage to a part of the brain that is responsible for carrying parts of the visual pathways for a certain part of the visual field, such that when this is damaged, a part of the person's visual field is damaged. It sounds like this is the case with your daughter. Many times this damage can improve and some of this peripheral vision can come back but it doesn't always come back and it may not come back at all, unfortunately--only time will tell this.

As far as her double vision goes, I would suggest that she obtain a patch (like a pirate patch) to occlude the vision in her left eye so she is not seeing double constantly. That may at least allow her to function better.

That may also provide her some relief from her eyes jumping and making it difficult to focus on things. Unfortunately, however, it sounds as though the right eye is not moving as it should because one of the nerves that controls one or more of the muscles that move the eye has undergone some damage from the stroke, and therefore her eyes are misaligned. This also tends to improve somewhat after the stroke, but to what extent and how quickly is very individual. In the coming weeks these symptoms should start to improve slowly to the extent that they are destined to.

Unfortunately there aren't really any eye exercises that will allow her to regain function of the eye muscles; whatever healing that is going to happen after the stroke will just have to patiently awaited. But I do think the pirate patch will at least help with the vision jumping and seeing double.

Does that help to address your concerns?

I am happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have been told that there is medications that can help the jumping, is this right?
The jumping is likely related to the fact that she is seeing two different images (because the eyes are no longer aligned, the right one being off now). I know of no medications that will improve this aspect of her problem. What medicine were you told could improve this? The patch over her left eye would eliminate one of the two disparate images competing with each other and should therefore help a lot with jumping.
I hope that is helpful to you. If you think of anymore questions I'd be glad to help. Good luck.