Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have noticed a tiny tremor in my eyelids, mostly right eye

I have noticed a tiny tremor in my eyelids, mostly right eye and mostly lower lid. It occurs for about 15-30 minutes at a time. It is not a tic or twitch; it is a tiny tremor along the edge of the eyelid itself. This has occured almost daily over the last month. Six months of computer work and long hours of stress of packing and moving has caused me lack of sleep, and fatigue. I found the muscles behind my eyes became sore and my right eye sometimes hurts if I look to the periphery. Could all of this just be eye strain?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

What you are describing appears to be spasms of the delicate eyelid muscles. The most common cause of these twitches are fatigue, stress, and caffeine. It can also be a response to underlying eye irritation such as dry eyes. Most cases of the eyelid spasms resolve on their own. It is important to identify the exacerbating factors -- some of which you have already mentioned such as stress and computer work.

Dr. James :

Minimize those as best you can, use artificial tears to relieve any underlying eye irritation. In addition, if you have not had a recent eye exam, then it is prudent you get that done as well.

Dr. James :

Here is a website which talks about eyelid twitching.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000756.htm

Customer:

Ha, I wondered about caffeine...2 cups a day and I am able to withdraw altogether. I am concerned about the sore "pull" or muscle behind the right eye that only happens once every couple weeks if I look to the right. I have to stop and centre my eye to get it to stop hurting.

Dr. James :

That can be a symptom of dry eyes as well or needing an updated eyeglasses prescription.

Customer:

My uncle had cancer behind his left eye which had to be removed after radiation treatments, and he eventually passed away as the cancer spread. We are similar in so many ways from body types to workaholics; this increasing trouble with my eyes is worrisome. I neglected to mention that in the last year my eyes have become blurry enough to see "double" e.g., signs etc without my glasses, so perhaps your point about a new prescription is in order.

Dr. James :

It is premature to think about cancers or tumors. Those type of things are rare in the general population. A family history is concerning, but certainly not a guarantee that you will suffer the same fate. A good exam will be able to determine if it is benign blepharospasm or something that needs further testing/imaging.

Customer:

This is a great service...thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I'll make an appointment. Can you tell me if I can receive or print out a copy of this conversation?

Dr. James :

You should be able to return to this page once it closes out and you can print out the entire conversation.

Customer:

One more query. Any supplements or alternative medicines that can help (as well as quit caffeine and artificial tears)?

Dr. James :

Faxseed and fish oils have been shown to help with dry eyes. They are big pills and can be difficult to remember to take long term, but is an option.

Customer:

Thanks again, signing out now.

Dr. James :

You're welcome. Good night.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.