Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My 3 year old daughter has been suffering from a cold for the

My 3 year old daughter has been suffering from a cold for the past 2 days and today her eyes have yellow discharge in the corners. She states that they do not hurt and they are not red or bloodshot at all. Is this still considered pink eye? What are some things that I can do?
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Often times colds are caused by virus. The mucosal surfaces of the nose and eyes are intimately related can sometimes there can be a spread of the infection causing a conjunctivitis. Treatment is for the symptoms and cool compresses often helps with any discomfort.

Dr. James :

Sometimes the infection can be caused by a bacteria, in this case antibiotics are helpful. If the discharge worsens, your daughter develops pain or worsening symptoms, she should be evaluated by her pediatrician or ophthalmologist.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.