Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I am using restasis twice a day for about 6mos. and using eye

I am using restasis twice a day for about 6mos. and using eye scrub twice a day prescribed by my eye dr. for red watery eyes and still no relief. what else could I do?
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

How often are you using artificial tears?
What other medicines have you tried?
When was your last visit with your ophthalmologist?
When is your next visit?

Customer:

I am using Restasis twice a day for about 6mos. now. He also had me on an eye drop antibiotic which worked well until he took me off said cant use it too long. I saw him last about 1 month ago.

Dr. James :

Dry eyes and blepharitis can be difficult to treat. Eyelid scrubs with baby shampoo/warm warm water and warm compresses are the mainstay of treatment. Restasis helps to increase your own natural tear production. You should also supplement with preservative free artificial tears 4-6 times a day.

An antibiotic eye drop Azasite has shown to be effective in blepharitis. It is true you don't want to use it long term to avoid resistence to the antibiotic in the bacteria. You can also try doxycycline antibiotic pills to open up the oil glands of the eyelids.

In addition, you might consider the use of punctal plugs - this prevents the tears from draining into your eyes and helps your eyes retain moisture.

Customer:

I wear contact lenses so what artificial eye drops should I buy.

Dr. James :

You should buy the rewetting drops specifically for contact lenses.

Customer:

So they are considered to be artificial tears also?

Dr. James :

yes.

Customer:

Ok so my last question is I should use the rewetting drops 4-6 times a day after using restasis in the morning? and how long do I wait before using the rewetting drops?

Dr. James :

You should wait 5-10 minutes after the restasis to allow the medicine to absorb into your eyes.

Customer:

Thank you so much I will first try the rewetting drops all day for a while to see if it makes a difference and if not I think I will opt for the plugs. Also at night should I do anything else besides the restasis?

Dr. James :

You may consider using a night time lubricating ointment, but sometimes that can cause crusting of the eyelids in the morning.

Customer:

Could I get that otc?

Dr. James :

Yes, it is similar to the artificial tears, just thicker.

Customer:

Thank you and have a good day!!!!!

Dr. James :

You're welcome. Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.