How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. A.S. Desai Your Own Question
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2400
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. A.S. Desai is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I get infected eyelashes, and because they hurt, I pull them

This answer was rated:

I get infected eyelashes, and because they hurt, I pull them and they come out with puss on the end. I experienced this yesterday, and I ended up pulling a whole section of eyelashes. Today I have a stye and the whole top lid is swollen from left to right. I have used tea bags today for about an hour, used hot wash cloths and I'm not sure what else I can do at home. I started a new RA med called Leflunomide on 7/12 not sure if this is a side effect, or just me.

Welcome to Just Answer

You have rightly diagnosed as a stye, which has occured due to probably rubbing of the lids ( if you haven'y done still then get your blood sugars done so as to rule out diabetes which is a common cause for recurrent infection of the eyelash follicle). Apart from warm compresses you can take oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines like tab.Acetaminophen 650 mg twice a day for 4 days. If there is no improvement within 2-3 days then you may need a short course of oral antibiotics like tab.Amoxycillin 500 mg thrice a day for 5 days. I do not think your new medicine for RA is causing this as its side effect.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you