Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I get infected eyelashes, and because they hurt, I pull them

I get infected eyelashes, and because they hurt, I pull them and they come out with puss on the end. I experienced this yesterday, and I ended up pulling a whole section of eyelashes. Today I have a stye and the whole top lid is swollen from left to right. I have used tea bags today for about an hour, used hot wash cloths and I'm not sure what else I can do at home. I started a new RA med called Leflunomide on 7/12 not sure if this is a side effect, or just me.

Welcome to Just Answer

You have rightly diagnosed as a stye, which has occured due to probably rubbing of the lids ( if you haven'y done still then get your blood sugars done so as to rule out diabetes which is a common cause for recurrent infection of the eyelash follicle). Apart from warm compresses you can take oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines like tab.Acetaminophen 650 mg twice a day for 4 days. If there is no improvement within 2-3 days then you may need a short course of oral antibiotics like tab.Amoxycillin 500 mg thrice a day for 5 days. I do not think your new medicine for RA is causing this as its side effect.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist