Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

sudden feeling of being crossed...if I close 1 eye my vision

sudden feeling of being crossed...if I close 1 eye my vision clears up...this wil last about 2 to 3 min and happens about once every 2 or 3 weeks...have been having this now for about 3 months
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
?

Dr. James :

Do you see double when you get this sensation?
Is the sensation when looking up close or far away?
Any change in vision?

Customer:

yes I do see double, vision changes but it is like I just crossed my eyes....if I close 1 eye it straightens out....there is no set pattern or any other symptoms...it happened when I was driving 1 time another time I was just walking in the store the last time i was in the house and just walking from room to room ...it also does not matter if I have my glasses on or off....I have no sweating , pain or anything else either before or after.

Dr. James :

It appears you have a decompensated phoria. This is a misalignment of the eyes. Your eyes have been compensating for this misalignment, but it appears you are having increasing difficulty to do so. You may need a change in prescription to allow you to have between control of your two eyes.

Your eye doctor will be able to tell if your eyes are misaligned or not.

Customer:

thank you...that is a relief....I thought that maybe I needed new glasses. what would cause this misalignment

Dr. James :

It depends on the control centers in the brain which controls eye movement. In some people, the brain output can be slightly out of balance, causing crossed eyes.

Dr. James :

There are other causes of eye misalignment, however, that double vision tend not to fluctuate as much.

Customer:

well thank you ...you have been very helpful...I will make an appointment next week

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Customer:

have a good night.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.