Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I CANNOT KEEP MY EYES OPEN. I HAVE TO FIGHT TO OPEN THEM. I

Customer Question

I CANNOT KEEP MY EYES OPEN. I HAVE TO FIGHT TO OPEN THEM. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING
Category: Eye
Expert:  docehtisham replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for asking

Since how long do you have this problem

At which time this problem is worst

Do you have any visual abnormality

Are you using any medicines currently

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>THYROID MEDICATION WHICH WAS JUST RECENTLY INCREASED. THIS HAS BEEN ONGOING ABOUT 2 MONTHS</p><p> </p>
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO ANSWERS OR TO EARLY TO KNOW
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It likely that you are experiencing the symptom of filamentary keratitis due the cornea irritation from the mucus filaments caused by the dry cornea. The underlying cause for the development is dry cornea is hypothyroidism, and needs appropriate correction with increase in the thyroid hormone. To resolve this problem, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation of your cornea and possible prescription of eye medication such as mucomyst (N-acetyl-cysteine) eye drop. In addition, I suggest that you use over the counter preservative free drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily, and Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily at least 10 minutes apart. The normalization of the thyroid hormone will significantly be beneficial. I suggest that you also use over the counter antioxidants containing N-acetyl cysteine which is a Glutathione precursor supplements.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.