Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I woke up this morning, my right eye was swollen nearly shut.

I woke up this morning, my right eye was swollen nearly shut. Yesterday I noticed it was not draining through the tear duct. This morning there was discharge sitting on my eye that looked like what was coming out of my nose. Wondering if I have a sinus infection as I've been fighting a bad cold or allergies. I have have thick hard stuff coming out of left nostril and nothing from the right side. Just thought my problem was with left sinuses but now I'm thinking the right side might be plugged up. Is there eye drops to open up the tear ducts? Do I need to go to eye Dr or ear, nose & throat Dr?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Is your right eye pink/red and/or light sensitive?

Doctor DanB :

Hello, are you there?

Customer:

It is currently pinkish red, but not light sensitive.

Doctor DanB :

When the eye is swollen like that it, the problem usually lies with the eye. While it is possible that you have a sinus infection and that swelling has obstructed the drainage of tears, causing backup of tears and discharge, it is more likely that the eye itself is the problem.

Doctor DanB :

Sorry, I hit enter inadvertently. What is most likely going on here is that you may have a viral conjunctivitis. This commonly happens when you have a cold as the same virus that causes the cold causes the conjunctivitis. It can often go into the other eye. If this is the case then there is no drop that will cure this (antibiotics don't work as it is not a bacteria). Cool compresses to help limit the swelling, artificial tears for any eye discomfort and time will help resolve this.

Customer:

I did have a sharp pain on the right outside of the eye ball before this. I have had pink eye before and was perscribed neosporin for eyes before. Is that what you are saying? What the mucos in my eye that looked like nasal discharge when I awoke?

Customer:

thick and darker yellow

Doctor DanB :

Once you've opened the eye and cleaned off some of the discharge, is the discharge continuing to be heavy in volume or does it only require an occasional wipe with a tissue. In other words, is it a lot or only a little bit of discharge throughout today?

Customer:

Ocassional and that was just upon waking. Yesterday it running clear quite a bit. There was goo in my eye so I went after it with a q-tip. Maybe I irritated it. When I had pink eye before it was real scratchy, this doesn"t feel like that. Feels more like I had something in it. What should I use to moisturize my eyes if they are dry? Do you think I should put neo for eyes in it?

Doctor DanB :

You can use artificial tears several times today to moisturize the eye, but try to avoid the ones that say "get the red out" or "redness reliever" as they may mask inflammation needed to help diagnose this. I don't necessarily think this is a bacterial infection so I don't think putting neosporin would be necessary. I do think however, if the vision is significantly affected or if the eye is significantly red or the lids swollen and red that you should go see the ophthalmologist. It is possible that this could be a skin infection of the eyelid so that may need to be assessed, but this seems likely to be a viral infection. Does this help address your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor

Customer:

Okay I will. Do you think I should consult a sinus dr from this site? OI have had huge amounts of hard dry flaky nasal discharge greenish looking for the last 2 weeks. Now it is is more moist and real sticky. I think its going in my left ear. And that usually leads to an ear infection in my left ear. The problem is chronic on my left side. That is why it seems wierd this is happening on my right eye. I curently experencing a headache on the right side of my head. I did irrigate with nasal spray yesterday. Could the salt have made it swell?

Customer:

I don't really like using eye drops, usually stings.

Doctor DanB :

The time period that you've been having the nasal discharge and your description of it do tend to suggest a possible sinus infection. Given that you're now having problems with your sinus and eye, it is a good idea to get to some doctors. I would see both the ophthalmologist and the ENT, or at the very least start with your primary care doctor, but if you can manage it I would go straight to the experts. I don't believe the saline nasal spray made things swell; it usually helps reduce swelling. As far as eye drops, the artificial tears have no medicine in them, so they shouldn't sting at all. Does all this make sense?

Customer:

yes it does. could it be allergies? my throat has been hurting along with coughing up phlem. if i do have a sinus issue, do you think my eye problem is related? is there something an eye dr can give me to open tear ducts? or will it correct itself when its better

Doctor DanB :

It is possible this is allergies, but not likely given what you've already described as far as the discharge, swelling, and time frame. I suspect, that even if you do have a sinus problem, that the eye problem is likely independent from the sinus problem, at least anatomically. It may be that they both started from the same viral infection, however. The eye doctor doesn't have anything that will open up the tear ducts, but you are correct in that it should correct itself to its former function once its better.

Customer:

ok thank you....should i put an ice pack on it to get the swelling down? or anything else i can do? Does it take long to heal? Do you think the swelling came from my trying to something out with a q-tip

Customer:

I forgot to mention, when blowing my nose the tissue would be bloody for the last three days.

Doctor DanB :

That is not uncommon in an inflammed sinus and nasal passages. I hope that helped to resolve your concerns. Unfortunately I have to leave our chat as I have my own clinic to attend to. If this has been helpful to you please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Good luck to you.

Customer:

ok thank you for your time. i appreciate you help.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology