Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

eyelid..other eye as well, not knowing these professionals

I went on the web site and got a list of doctors from the membeship directory to perform drooping eyelid surgery in the New York area. I will need caarac surgery on the other eye as well, not knowing these professionals, how do I determine which one? Am I looking at where they were trained, MD,FAC (what is this?) as opposed to MD- and/or whether they are oculoplastic surgeons & ophthamologist? How do I determine as I have seen & heard of bad work. This is my face and I want positive results.

Hello again

you can ask your ophthalmologist for a referral to someone he trusts. If he is not able to provide you with leads and you have to resort to the local list I provided, you will want to see review their experience and decide on someone you feel comfortable with. Then once there for a consultation, you need to ask to see their operative results. If they dont have it or provide some results, move on to someone else. Once you see someone with the results that you feel are appropriate and adequate, then you have found your surgeon. FAC refers to fellow of american college - then you will see PS or something similar, referring to plastic surgery. That means they have had additional fellowship training to specialize in the field. So you know you have a trained specialist, not just someone who is doing the surgery without formal training. I hope this helps, I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

PS I will be stepping away for the afternoon, should you have more questions for me, I will be happy to address them this evening (I am in the west coast). Regards