How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Stevens Your Own Question
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 1404
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Stevens is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had catarac surgery on the morning of 7/13/110 on my right

This answer was rated:

I had catarac surgery on the morning of 7/13/110 on my right eye. My eyes has not opened all the way as of this time. It is open just a little and in order for me to see I have to tilt my head all the way back. My face is disfigured as I have one eye open and the other almost closed. I saw the doctor that performed the surgery the following day and he said I need twice as much anethesia as the other patients because I could feel what was going on. Ii am in touch wih the patient that had the same surgery after me and she is fine. My husband had this surgery last yrar-no problems. I am toyally depressed. What an I do? Can this be corrected so both eys are open? Was there too much anethesia? My eyes were my bret features. I am a Vice Principal of a Middle School and need to have this vorrected befor 8/30.
Please help me. Charlotte Ellis
As you have pointed out, this is not the usual occurrence after cataract surgery.
I assume you are talking about swelling of the lids, which could represent blephitis, infection of the eyelashes and lid.
Conjunctivitis, infection of the outer eye itself might also be a problem.
To answer your question, this needs to be looked at now, by the surgeon, or by someone in his/her group on call, or by an ER physician.
Talk to the on call surgeon about this asap.
Good luck
DT: Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback most appreciated. Bonuses most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.

Hello there

I am an ophthalmologist and can help you with this issue. Does the eyelid seem swollen at all ? Do you know if an injection was done near the eyeball to anesthetize the eyeball for surgery ? is there any foreign body sensation ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is no swelling.. No injection near the eyeball that I am aware of, but the doctor said the antheologist had to give me double the amount because I could still feel what was going on. I have no pain or swelling now. Vision is good but I have to tilt my head back see as the lid covers the eye. Could I have been given too much anethesia? Can this be corrected without eye lid surgery?


C. L Ellis

That expert has gone offline.
This is called ptosis, a drooping of the eyelid.
This can be due to anesthesia, but should clear in about a week.
Sometimes ptosis can be due to muscle/nerve damage and persist quite a while.
Still suggest you talk to your surgeon but this could be an anesthesia effect that will where off.
Hope this helps
Good luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just got off of the internet and was able to print out this information as well after accessing drooping eyelids/blepharoplasty.

I would like to hear from the ophthalmologist, Dr. Stevens. I am anxious to know if this requires eyelid surgery. Did complications arise from too much anesthesia? If surgery is needed-where/how to find the best for this delicate procedure. How can I get Dr. Stevens or an opthmalog. with experience respond?

C. L. Ellis

You can wait until he comes back on line.
This will probably not require surgery unless it is other than an anesthesia effect, which could take a week or more to wear off. Even then, many of the other cases resolve with a longer waiting time.
You can wait for Dr. Stevens to come back to this post, or accept my answer and start a new post requesting him in the title, or not accept my answer and do the same.
good luck
I think Dr. Thomas is correct in his reasoning. What I would like to add is that during the surgery, we do several things for performing a safe surgery. Many surgeons perform local injections for pain control during the surgery. This can lead to a transient (few hours, perhaps a day) drooping of the lids. What is universal is the use of a lid speculum which holds the eyelids apart for the surgery. We obviously would not just expect you to keep the eyes open. The speculum splits the eyelids apart and can sometimes damage the levator muscle which causes the lid to droop. If this does not resolve fully in 1-2 weeks, it may be a permanent condition that requires surgery. Now I dont mean to side with the ophthalmologist as I am one, but I will add that the need for more anesthesia PROBABLY did not in any way lead to the drooping of the lid, with the exception of anesthetic being applied during surgery using a needle in the eyeball socket. Read that again and make sure you are clear. Corrective surgery is a straightforward outpatient procedure called ptosis repair and can be done only on the affected eye unless the other eye also has some drooping at which point bilateral ptosis repair can be done. If the other eye also has a cataract and will need surgery, I would not correct this sides drooping until the other cataract surgery unless that is not planned anytime soon. I hope this helps and please press ACCEPT to this answer, If you have further questions please ask me, Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I DO NEED CATARACT SURGERY IN THE OTHER EYE. My unanswered question was where do I look for the best surgeon to perform thi delicate eyelid surgery? How long after having the other eye corrected can I do this?  I reside in New York.

Hello there

first you get the other eye done and see how the droopy lid turns out in a few weeks. Should you need ptosis repair, you are going to need to have your ophthalmologist refer you to an oculoplastics surgeon. That is the specialist who most commonly perform ptosis repair. Some ophthalmologists also perform this surgery but more often it is an oculoplastics specialist or even a plastic surgeon. I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX do press ACCEPT so I can get credit for my work, Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You still did not respond to where I can find the best specialists in N.Y. I belong to the HIP group and don't believe these are the best for this delicate surgery. No disrespect. Obviously, there are reservations with his referral now. I will click accept when my questions are answered. I do thank you for your expertise.

You are fortunate to live in a place like New York where oculoplastics specialists are plenty. Whatever group you belong to, they will have a specialist in the system and if they dont by law they have to provide a referral to a specialist to provide the services. As for finding a local specialist, you can look in the ASOPRS directory.



Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 1404
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stevens and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you

Update, look here for a specialist in your area