Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

HAS THERE BEEN ESTABLISHED A CONNECTION BETWEEN AGENT ORANGE

HAS THERE BEEN ESTABLISHED A CONNECTION BETWEEN AGENT ORANGE EXPOSURE AND OPEN ANGLE GLAUCOMA. I HAD MY AGENT ORANGE SCREENING IN MUSKOGEE IN 2008,
AT WHICH TIME I ADVISED THE DOCTOR THAT I HAVE BEEN TREATED FOR GLAUCOMA SINCE 1989. I HAVE A DISABILITY RATING OF 30% FOR HEARING LOSS AND PTSD AND
HAD BEEN PAYING $8.00 PRESCRIPTIONS FOR COSOPT AND FOR TRAVISTAN. AFTER THE VA PROCESSED MY AGENT ORANGE INFO I HAVE BEEN GETTING MY DROPS FREE. IS THIS THE VA'S WAY OF SAYING THAT THE GLAUCOMA I HAVE IS SERVICE CONNECTED WITHOUT REALLY SAYING SO.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

In general, there has not been any documented association of agent orange exposure with the development of glaucoma. The known risk factors for glaucoma include family history of glaucoma, age, high blood pressure, diabetes, increase eye pressure, trauma, steroid use, eye inflammation. It is possible that agent orange exposure through the increased risk of causing other health problems and/or eye inflammation, may contribute to at least the onset of glaucoma and/or increase eye pressure.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.