Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have been seeing yellow lines everywhere. Especially on white

I have been seeing yellow lines everywhere. Especially on white surfaces.It does"nt happen all the time but it still worries me. What could cause this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Do you notice this phenomenon happening moreso when you've just been looking at a bright light source like a lamp, computer screen or the sunlight?

Do these lines tend to "follow you" when you move your eyes around, as if floating behind your eye movements on a string?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They almost always happen when I am under florescent lights.Never at night.

Do you ever have any of the following associated with these episodes: headaches, shimmering lights, nausea, sensitivity to bright light and/or loud noises?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Fluorescent lighting, for some people, tends to be a visual bee-in-a-bonnet. For some it can trigger migraines, for others it can cause them to be light sensitive.

It sounds as though you are experiencing the after-effects of looking at fluorescent lighting, much like you might continue to see a bright image after you've been looking at it for a little bit and then closing your eyes.

These lines, in and of themselves, are usually not concerning. If you start to notice flashing or shimmering lights, get headaches, or have changes in vision, these are reasons to see your eye doctor.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did just get a computer for the first time and I have been on it a lot.Could this be a cause. I also have fibromyalgia and I heard it gives you vison problems.
Yes, spending a long time on the computer can definitely lead to this. The fibromyalgia is likely not significantly at play here. I suspect the computer is to blame. I would recommend just taking more frequent breaks while working at the computer.