Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have several black spots on one of my eyeballs that Ive

Customer Question

I have several black spots on one of my eyeballs that I've been told is a birthmark. I believe it is directly correlated to some discoloration on the skin around my eye that looks like a black eye that arrived in my late teens. I am 31. It does not effect my vision and I was told not to worry about it but to get it checked out every few years. I saw an ophthamologist who didn't know what it was or what to do with it. What kind of specialist should I see?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Please allow me to ask you a few questions so I can better understand the situation.

Are you of African, Hispanic or Asian descent or are you caucasian?

Is this only on and around one eye or is it both?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Doctor,
Caucasian, and one eye.

This combination of pigmentation on your eyeball and on the skin on and around your eyelid sounds consistent with a diagnosis called oculodermal melanocytosis.

This usually happens in someone of African, Asian or Hispanic descent, but can happen in caucasian individuals.

This is something that should be monitored on a regular basis, at least every year or more often as your ophthalmologist and/or dermatologist recommend. The skin pigmentation can transform into a malignancy and is more likely to occur in a caucasian individual. In addition, approximately 1 in 400 individuals with this develop a malignant melanoma in the colored tissues inside the eye called the uvea.

I think regular follow-up with a dermatologist and an ophthalmologist (oculoplastics specialist or glaucoma specialist) would be warranted.

Does this help answer your questions?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.