Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

my daughter sprayed some spray n wash in her eye 2 days ago.

my daughter sprayed some spray n wash in her eye 2 days ago. we rinsed it but it is swollen and had a lot of yellow gunk on it this morning when she woke up. what should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

This kind of chemical exposure to the eye can cause a significant amount of inflammation, including inflammation of the conjunctiva (clear tissue over the whites of the eyes) and can even cause corneal damage as well.

Either of these problems may be happening. I would recommend that she be seen by an ophthalmologist as soon as possible to allow her to begin appropriate treatment of this problem, which really needs an examination by an eye doctor.

Until that time, however, artificial tears and / or lubricating ophthalmic ointment can be placed in the eye for comfort and will not harm the eye (don't use tears that say get the red out or redness reliever because those can mask signs of infection).

Does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.