Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am visiting a friend and forgot my contact solution. I had

Customer Question

I am visiting a friend and forgot my contact solution. I had allergy eye drops and used that to keep my contacts lubricated overnight. They bothered my eyes when I put them in the next day and so I took them out and wore my glasses for a while. I bought some contact solution later and washed my contacts in it and put them in my eyes. My vision started to get a little foggy and when it didn't clear, I took out the lenses. The problem is that I vision is still unclear- it is still foggy. My eyes are tearing a lot and burning but they are not red. I bought some natural tears to help rinse my eyes, but I am worried. What should I do? Would there be any one who could actually do anything to help after hours?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

What I would suggest is flushing your eyes out with water for several minutes. Then use some preservative free artificial tears at least every 30 minutes for the next several hours. Cool compresses can help you feel better. Of paramount importance, however, is to stay out of the contact lenses for right now.

As far as your recourse for seeing an eye professional right now, unless you are an existing patient of ophthalmologist or optometrist in that area (which is unlikely since you're visiting) (in which case you should be able to call their clinic # XXXXX talk to the on-call doctor), you'll only be able to go to an urgent care clinic or an emergency room for right now.

I would say if your vision is only slightly foggy and not significantly changed and these treatments I've suggested are helping, then you may be able to wait until the morning. If the vision is significantly affected, the pain is severe, or if anything else is significantly concerning you, then seek one of these avenues tonight.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.