Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

hi. im a 37yr old male. for 25yrs i have had a tiny circle

Customer Question

hi. i'm a 37yr old male. for 25yrs i have had a tiny circle of colour spinning infront of my eyes, wether closed or open. i always thought it was natural untill about 7-8 yrs ago, a conversation with my mum brought it up. she said it wasn't natural. when i close my eyes, its more intense, the colour stretches my entire vision, like static on the tv. i've heard of visual snow but would like to hear other opinions.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Any history of headache or migraine?

How frequent does it occur?

How is your overall vision? Does this affect your daily function?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi. no history of either headaches or migranes. its a natural vision, its constant, its how i see. and no, my vision is not affected. its like a billion pinpricks of dots in my vision, and the focal point of colour swirls.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you much:

It is likely that you are experiencing that color sensation of ocular or acephalgic migraine without headaches. This condition often involves visual aura such as you are describing or other patterns. To resolve or significantly reduce these symptoms, I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor (neuro-ophthalmologist) for closer evaluation and possible prescription for medication such as Imitrex or sumatriptan to help prevent and/or reduce the symptom. In addition, I suggest that your eye doctor consider closer evaluation of your optic nerve function with color and contrast sensitivity testing. ERG and EOG testing would help exclude any underlying cone/rod dystrophy.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX think its rather cool, but how can it be my my eyesight if i have these visuals with eyes shut. i feel this is more in my head than ocular and i also think its more spiritual in a way. as you righty said, visual aura is a good evaluation. i don't want to lose it. its not affecting my daily life, or caus discomfort in anyway. i've never had an eye doctors opinion, so respect yours. thank you. but, i think i need some other assistance in finding out what this is. thanks again
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

It's likely a vision aura generated in the brain and not in the eye - acephalgic/cephalgic (brain) migraine without headaches. Imitrex or sumatriptan works in the brain not in the eye. Since it is not affecting your vision, then there is no need to use the medication. God bless.