Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have been having trouble with my eyes on and off for the

I have been having trouble with my eyes on and off for the last 9 months. I have used Visine AC, Alaway, clear eyes, and perscription drops and ointment of Tobradex. I can usually get them cleared up with the prescription drugs if I go without my contacts for a week and use the drops. Nothing I use across the counter seems to help. I have gone to my eye doctor and to an ophthalmonlogist. They say they think it is an allergy to something but I don't know what. My eyes water constantly. My eyes just overflow and tears will run down my face. When I wake in the morning my eyes are watery and red. I am out of prescription drop so I will have to go back to my eye doctor. Do you think I should go to my medical doctor instead of the ophthalmologist? I am tried of my eyes watering all the time. For some reason my eyes water more when I wear my glasses than they do when I wear my contacts. It's just that I have to keep cleaning my contacts to keep them from getting foggy. What are your suggestions.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you have a problem of dysfunction tear film with abnormal composition of the tear film. Such problem can stimulate excessive tearing as the abnormal composition is not able to properly feedback control excessive reflex tearing which you are experiencing at this time. The cause of dysfunctional tear film include underlying eye allergic conjunctivitis or blepharoconjunctivitis (inflammation of the conjunctiva and/or eyelid). It is possible that there is an associated eye inflammation like the presence of new small blood vessels (pannus) around your cornea due to the long-term use of contacts which now has become increasingly irritated by your eye allergy. This would explain why the use of Tobradex helps to resolve the problem after brief use but then reverts back again. To help significantly resolve this problem, I suggest that you regularly use oral Zyretc 1 pill daily, do not wear contact for about 4-6 weeks, use prescription Zylet eye drop 4 times daily for 1 week, Pataday eye drop once daily, eyelid hygiene with 50% diluted baby shampoo soaked on Q-tip or cotton ball twice daily, follow-up by warm water rinse, and then use preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal eye drop 4 tear daily as needed. You may think that you do not need tear drop since your eyes are tearing constantly. In fact, part of the reason for the constant tearing is due to lack of normal tear composition which preservative free tear drop would now provide and ultimately slow down the reflex tear production by the lacrimal gland.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Who should I go to get the prescriptions I need? My family doctor, an opthmalogist, my optomistrists? Should I take the print out of your answer with me? Where do I go from here?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much:

You should go to either the Optometrist or Ophthalmologist. Sure, it is okay to share with the doctor our discussion.