Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have yellow eyes a lot with red - recently been diagnosed

I have yellow eyes a lot with red - recently been diagnosed with hayfever but I am not certain that this is correct. Optician said it might be an underlying health problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Yellowish discoloration of the eyes can occur due to exposure to sunlight /dust provided it only affects the exposed part of the white of the eye ie only the white between the upper and lower eyelids( and not the white of the eye covered by the upperlid . When this part is also yellowish , it usually is seen in jaundice and is confirmed by blood tests) . Since you do lot of computer work also, the associated redness could be contributed by dry eyes . If there is associated itching in the eyes along with redness it could be allergic conjunctivitis.

You can start putting preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day to relieve dry eyes and Alaway eye drops , 1 drop twice a day to relieve the redness. Both are available over the counter. If symptoms persist beyond 3 weeks of treatment , then you must consult an ophthalmologist for a detailed eye check up and additional blood tests.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist