Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

eye..one of my eyes..Ive never had vision problems like double vision

hi, I've had a few eye surgeries throughout my life to correct intermittent strabismus is one of my eyes. It only turned when I wasn't focusing with it and I've never had vision problems like double vision or anything..even have better than 20/20 as far as my last checkup. My most recent surgery was in 2007 and my doctor said it couldn't have gone any better as far as alignment results. They are still perfectly straight after 3 years with a minor over correction that is only noticeable when i focus with my non dominant eye or look at something really closely. Every now and then I can feel tightness in my eyes but the alignment is still perfect. I am wondering if this is a good indication of the permanent results if there has been zero change in 3 years? also, would temporarily wearing prism glasses help with the focus and tightness?

Thanks,
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It is definitely a good sign that there has been no change in three years and that the eyes are well aligned with normal vision in both eyes. If you feel that objects are out of focus for near vision only, then prisms will help overcome the convergence insuffiency ie clear and normal vision for distance but blurring for near vision ( treats only the effect and not the cause). The tightness in the eyes is more likely to be due to eye fatigue or asthenopia . For soothening effect , you can put preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day. If the vision for distance and near is good enough , then there is no need for prisms ( likely in your case as vision is 20/20 for distance and no diplopia or blurring for near vision ). Maybe you will benefit with eye exercises which can strengthen the eye muscles. This includes viewing a pencil held in the hand at arm's distance and slowly brought near the eye till fusion is lost and again the test is repeated 10 times. This shpould take care of any residual convergence insuffiency.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX more follow up.. do you think that the prims would over time strengthen the muscles so that the one eye doesn't turn in slightly?

Prisms only have a passive effect and in no way can strengthen the eye muscles. They only help the eye to move in a given direction in order to relieve the strain on a given muscle in the eye . For eg . prisms given for convergence help to lessen the strain on the medial rectus muscle which is otherwise responsible for convergence of the eyeball.

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks and best wishes.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince