Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Just 1 hr ago it appears something is in my eye however, nothing.

Customer Question

Just 1 hr ago it appears something is in my eye however, nothing. When I move my left eye it moves with eye. It looks like a cobweb. What should I do
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

How is your vision in that eye otherwise ( apart from the cobweb)?

Ever experienced floaters in the eye before this episode?( spots moving in front the eye)

I thought the additional information would help me answer the question better. But viewing only cobweb like imge in your vision with no reduction in vision , is likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ). In this condition the thick gel at the middle of the eye gets detached from its surrounding due to age and may be appreciated as a floater/strands/lines/wavy patterns. This does not require any specific treatment and will be eventually learnt to be ignored as it does not disappear but may drift out of sight sometimes.

A routine retina exam should be done to check the intactness of the retina , as the vitreous while getting detached may rarely cause a retinal tear . If found the retinal tear can be sealed by laser so that the tear does not extend into a retinal detachment (sudden cloudiness or more like a curtain falling in the line of vision).

You can put Refresh tears eye drops 1 drop 4 times a day, if there is any dry sensation and for soothening effect.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist