Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My wife has been told by her optician that she has the beginnings

My wife has been told by her optician that she has the beginnings of a cateract but it should be left as it is too early to treat. Is this correct ?.

Welcome to Just Answer

Cataracts in very early stage can be left alone for sometime ( which may vary from months to years ). The decision to operate on a cataract depends on its level of maturity or density, the deterioration in vision, co-existing eye and systemic diseases if any. If her vision is still good enough ( with / without glasses ) then she can wait for the cataract to become more dense. Once the vision starts reducing with glasses , it indicates that the cataract has become more dense and can be taken for surgery . This is the time when you need to consult an ophthalmologist for further treatment.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have an opinion on L-Carsonine eye drops ?

Thank you for the reply.

L-Carnosine eye drops are anti-oxidant eye drops which are marketed for reversal of cataracts . Unfortunately these are only experimental drugs and in the actual scenario cannot change the effects of cataract . In senile cataract there are certain age related changes occuring in the natural lens which begin to reduce its transparency and eventually to an opaque lens , thus making surgery necessary for its treatment. Anti-oxidants will not be able to revert any of these changes which have already begun in a cataractous lens. In my opinion these eye drops will not be beneficial. You may as well wait and go for regular follow up say once in 6 months to know the status of the cataract and further management.

Please remember to press the green accept button if the answer is satisfactory, so that I get credit for my work.

Thank you and best wishes