Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I developed styes after my cat(who had a nasty viral infection

Customer Question

I developed styes after my cat(who had a nasty viral infection secondary to his feline leukemia) sneezed mucous into my eye. I told my eye doctor about this, and he pretty much blew it off, and said it was due to old age. Well, several years later, I still get styes but have developed a light yellow discharge in the corner of each eye, that I have to wipe out several times a day. I have no other symptoms other than that. What do you recommend? And thank you for your time and knowledge. I also have no health insurance, so a natural alternative would be very helpful.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing recurrent stye with eye infection due to possible association with the Cat transmitted infection. To resolve this problem, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation and treatment with oral doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for 14 days or Augmentin 875mg twice daily for 10-14 days to help eradicate the associated eye infection. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily for 1-2 weeks, preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily at least 5-10 mins apart from the zaditor drop, and apply hot compresses to the stye 2-3 daily.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.