Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have had light flashes in my right eye for 2 months(5-6 or

Customer Question

I have had light flashes in my right eye for 2 months(5-6 or many more in a day.everyday) I saw my opthalmologist, no problem with the retina. I was told to go to my neurologist. But he has yet to schedule it(two weeks ago.)Should I ignore the problem. What is wrong?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer;

It is likely that you are experiencing the flashes symptoms of posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) which tends to occur due aging vitreous (thick clear gel) inside the eye. However, if you do have headaches and/or migraine then the neurologist would need to perform tests including CT scan and/or MRI to exclude any abnormal brain lesion.

In general, the aging vitreous tends to collapse and/or form pockets of liquefied vitreous, which causes the edge of the vitreous to become loosely attached or detached from the back of the eye (retina). These pockets of melted vitreous and/or loosely attached/PVD stimulates the retina especially with movement to cause flashing sensations. This is often not harmful. It is not retinal detachment, and there is no damage to the retina. The management of PVD is with routine complete dilated eye examination by the retinal eye doctor to exclude any occurrence or associated retinal tear or hole due the the traction of the PVD on the retina from which there could be a future site of retinal detachment. If the symptoms of flashes become severe to obstruct your vision, the retina eye surgery can surgically remove the melted vitreous to resolve the symptoms, but this is uncommon.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.