Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

Are styes on the eye a common occurence Is it unusal for

Are stye's on the eye a common occurence? Is it unusal for a "mature" adult to develop a stye on the eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Stye (also known as Chalazion) are common in both adults and children. In general, this results when dirt or infection around the base of the eyelashes clog up the pores (opening) of the tear oil gland next to the base of the eyelashes causing reaction, inflammation and swelling. To resolve this, I suggest that you apply wam/hot compresses to the stye area 2-3 times daily for 2-3 weeks, and use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily. If the fails to significantly resolve in 2-3 weeks, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation and possible prescription for Tobradex eye drop or oral doxycycline.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.