Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I started having floaters across my right eye a few days ago.

I started having floaters across my right eye a few days ago. I saw an eye doctor and he examined my eye and asked if I was also seeing a flashing light. At the time I was not, but later that night I started seeing a flashing light to the right of my eye. I am concerned about a retinal detachment. I had RK surgery on that eye in 2004. I have had no problems with the eye until now. The eye doctor I saw suggested that I see a retinal specialist.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer;

It is likely that you are experiencing the floaters and flashes symptoms of posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) which tends to occur due aging vitreous (thick clear gel) inside the eye. In general, the aging vitreous tends to collapse and/or form pockets of liquefied vitreous, which causes the edge of the vitreous to become loosely attached or detached from the back of the eye (retina). These pockets of melted vitreous and/or loosely attached/PVD stimulates the retina especially with movement to cause floating and flashing sensations. This is often not harmful, but managed with routine complete dilated eye examination by the retinal eye doctor to exclude any occurrence or associated retinal tear or hole due the the traction of the PVD on the retina from which there could be a future retinal detachment. If the symptoms of floaters and/or flashes become severe to obstruct your vision, the retina eye surgery can surgically remove the melted vitreous to resolve the symptoms.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.