Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My four year old sons left eye has some redness and irritation

My four year old son's left eye has some redness and irritation and occasionally blinks uncontrollably, the blinking seems connected to stress, should I be concerned?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is appears that he has eye irritation with redness causing dysfunctional tear film with cornea dryness and irritation. The cornea (clear part of the eye) has very sensitive nerves that when irritated results in blinking (blepharospasm) in an effort to re-moist the cornea. Stress can increase such irritation of the cornea nerve. To resolve this problem, I suggest that he use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times for 1-2 weeks, and preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times at least 5-10 mins apart from the Zaditor drop. This should significantly resolve the problem. However, this fails to resolve, then I suggest that he follow-up with his eye doctor for closer evaluation under the Silt-lamp and possible prescription for strong eye drop.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.