Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Hello I have a recurring sore spot in one eye. It appears

Customer Question

I have a recurring sore spot in one eye. It appears as a whitish circle on the conjunctiva and the area around it is inflamed-looking. It feels bruised to touch it and hurts to move the eye around. This is the third or fourth time that I have had this in the past three years.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It is likely to be episcleritis. There is inflammation of the episclera which is the layer below the conjunctiva in the white of the eye.Usually it is self limiting and disappears within 10-14 days except the nodular type which takes longer to go. It responds to a short course of steroid eye drops like prednisolone eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day. For those at risk of raised intraocular pressure or with glaucoma , steroid eye drops are avoided and instead non steroidal drops like flurbiprofen eye drops are to be used.

To relieve pain you can take an analgesic like tab Brufen 400 mg twice a day for 3 days. If symptoms do not disappear within 2 weeks , you must consult an ophthalmologist for a detailed eye check up and treatment.

For soothening effect you can put Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop, 4 times a day, in the meanwhile.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 7/5/2010 at 3:07 PM EST