Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

my eyes have been constantly running..using anti histamine eye drops

Good morning from England!

I wonder if you can help me. For the last 6 weeks my eyes have been constantly running so I have been using anti histimine eye drops. But they dont seem to help and I wake up with sticky eyes every morning and now have a ridge across each eyelid. Most of the time my eyes are very sore and the constant running is making life quite difficult.

many thanks

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing the symptoms of blepharitis (inflammation and/or infection of the eyelid associated ocular allergy). To resolve this I suggest that you use over the counter Zaditor (Ketotifen) eye drop 4 times daily, Zyretc or Claritin 1 pill daily, perform eyelid hygiene/cleaning with 50% diluted baby shampoo soaked on Q-tip or cotton balls twice daily followed by warm water rinse, and also use preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily. If this fails to resolve in 2-3 weeks, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation and possible prescription for oral doxycycline 100 mg twice daily.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.