Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

last night when I was in the dark when I turned my head in

last night when I was in the dark when I turned my head in a circular manner I saw flashes of light as I turned my head-this was the first time I obsrved this-last week I banged my head on a gym locker-it was painful and swollen for two days-about a month ago I fell and hit the side of my head-my vision is fine-I am 64 years old and wondered if I should go to the emergency room in view of risk of detached retina

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that the head and eye injuries may be affected the eye via inflammation in the back of the eye with stimulation of the retina to give flashing light sensation as a result loose attachment of the clear gel inside the eye (vitreous) caused by the injuries. I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation to exclude any retina tear, hole, or detachment. In addition, the channels that drain the eye fluid should be closely evaluated, and the eye pressure checked as trauma to the eye increases the risk of eye fluid drainage angle recession that can lead loss of vision years later. I would support that you go to the emergency if the symptom is persisting, otherwise you should see your eye doctor tomorrow.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that the head and eye injuries may have affected the eye with inflammation in the back of the eye and/or stimulation of the retina causing flashing light sensation as a result loose attachment of the clear gel inside the eye (vitreous) caused by the injuries. I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation to exclude any retina tear, hole, or detachment. In addition, the channels that drain the eye fluid should be closely evaluated, and the eye pressure checked as trauma to the eye increases the risk of eye fluid drainage angle recession that can lead loss of vision years later. I would support that you go to the emergency if the symptom is persisting, otherwise you should see your eye doctor tomorrow.