Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I went to bed after watching TV and my eye felt tired . I

I went to bed after watching TV and my eye felt "tired". I woke up in 2 hours with pain and stinging and put cold compresses on my eye for a couple of hours and took Advil. This morning it is very bloodshot and uncomfortable - a little sensitive to light. I had cataract surgery 2 months ago and had Restor lenses implanted.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you have inflammation with subconjunctival hemorrhage (blood under the conjunctiva) due to eye stain/irritation after watch TV and/or due to unintentional rubbing of the eye with hand or pillow at night causing the rupture of a conjunctiva surface blood vessel. This is not harmful, and would resolve with time but faster with the use of preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily. Since you recently had Restor lens implant, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation to exclude any blood inside the eye. I suggest that you avoid Advil/Aleve or Aspirin as these can affect platelet function and worsen the bleeding. Instead, I suggest that you use Tyenol for pain. You can also use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily as needed for irritation and eye pain.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.