Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

Why are my eyes always red and I have like some light brown

Why are my eyes always red and I have like some light brown spots in the white area I have had these problem for years. Is there anyway I can rid of those red eyes, people always ask me why are your eyes so red? I once saw an ophthalmologist and he said for me to wash my eyes every morning with soap or shampoo since my eyes were super dry and that would help, but it has not. Please help any sugggestions!!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you have dry eyes associated with eyelid inflammation (blepharitis). Chronic eye inflammation can also cause pigment deposits (brown spots) on the white part of the eye. When chronic eye inflammation is associated with brown spots, it is recommended that other underlying cause of inflammation such as autoimmune inflammatory connective tissue or collagen vascular disease be considered. Chronic eye allergy, episcleritis and/or scleritis should be considered as well. So, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation with tests including ANA, ESR, C-reactive protein, anti-SSA (rho), anti-SSB (La), Thyroid function tests, and ANCA panels. In the meantime, in addition to using allergy eye drop (i.e Zaditor eye drop) and eyelid hygiene with diluted baby shampoo, I suggest that you use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal 4 times daily and Zyretc 1pill daily.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your help!! I need to know what kind of eyelid hygiene do I get or do I make it with a little water and baby shampoo.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much:

I suggest that you use about 50% diluted baby shampoo soaked on Q-tip or cotton balls to clean your eyelid/lashes twice daily, followed each time with warm water rinse.