Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

52 years..dry eyes..(Sometimes stinging..he gave me Systane eye drops

I am 52 years old. Approx twice a week or so I get very dry eyes--feels like there is something in it but rubbing doesn't help. (Sometimes stinging, sometimes very dull pain) I asked a pharmacist and he gave me Systane eye drops. This helps, but is there anything I should be worried about? I am an artist and need my eyes even more than most people.

Also, I wear glasses. I have astigmatism and am near-sighted. I have to take my glasses off to see my computer and to read. I wear contacts for sports, but would like to try those new bi--or tri-focal conatcts--woud you recommend them?

Welcome to Just Answer

For dry eyes lubricating eye drops are beneficial ( there are many brands and systane is one of them ) . You can continue with systane eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day.

Since you are an artist , there must be moments where in you have to constantly look at your work and the blink rate of the eye gets reduced ( normal is 14-16 times a minute) . This can add to the dry eyes ( due to breaks in the tear film ) . Lubricating eye drops are adequate for this.

Your decision to go for bifocal or multifocal contact lenses , will depend on your level of adaptibility and motivation for it. You need to understand the way these work and go for a trial before you decide to wear them. Please go through this link for detailed information regarding these lenses.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist