Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I am a 56 year old woman who has always been nearsighted and

I am a 56 year old woman who has always been nearsighted and now am wearing bifocals. Yesterday I seemed to be seeing brief flashes of light at the outer edge of my right eye. Later the same day and this morning I have been seeing a larger blurred "floater" in the right eye. When I look right-left, up-down, it floats to the opposite direction. Do I need to see my eye-doctor or will this go away on it's own? Thank you for any advise you can give. Teresa C.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the flashes and/or floaters symptoms of posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). This is not harmful. It is often due to the aging of the thick clear gel (vitreous) inside the eye, which tends to become loosely attached to the back of the eye, and in some area may form pockets of melted vitreous. The loosely attached vitreous and/or the pockets of melts tend to move and stimulates the retina to cause these flashes and floaters. This is generally not harmful, but if it becomes severe and affect your vision, the retina eye doctor can surgically remove the melted vitreous to resolve the problem. In the meantime, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation with dilated eye exam to exclude any retinal tear or hole which occasionally occurs and can serve as beginning site for retinal detachment.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.