Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my husband started seeing blue/purple clouds in his vision

my husband started seeing blue/purple clouds in his vision yesterday. what does this mean?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Does he feel that a part of the vision is clouded by something like a curtain or veil , suddenly?

Any history of diabetes or hypertension ?

Any associated pain / watering or redness ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

BORDERLINE DIABETES AND HYPERTENSION - NOT HIGH

NO PAIN/WATERING OR REDNESS

NO CLOUDINESS JUST ACROSS THE TOP OF HIS LINE OF VISION ESPECIALLY WHEN HE BLINKS

Thank you for the reply.

I needed to clarify that there was no cloudiness of vision . I guess it is more like small cloud like floater in the top of his vision . In the absence of acute eye symptoms like reduced vision or pain , this is likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment( PVD ) . In this condition the thick gel at the middle of the eye gets detached from its surrounding due to age and may be appreciated as a floater. This does not require any specific treatment and will be eventually learnt to be ignored as it does not disappear but may drift out of sight sometimes.

A routine retina exam should be done to check the intactness of the retina , as the vitreous while getting detached may rarely cause a retinal tear . If found the retinal tear can be sealed by laser so that the tear does not extend into a retinal detachment (sudden cloudiness or more like a curtain falling in the line of vision).

He can put Refresh tears eye drops 1 drop 4 times a day, if there is any dry sensation and for soothening effect.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist