Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Is there any test I should make sure my opth does I go back

Customer Question

Is there any test I should make sure my opth does? I go back in 10 day.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your inquiry.

Was there any specific questions you had for your ophthalmologist or a specific reason why you are going back? I presume for a follow-up for some condition?

Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to interupt. But I had replied to your follow up question in the previous question itself. As you have not seen that I shall send the answer here.

Yes , surely all the necessary investigations would have been done if you have been there for the reduced vision in one eye. The usual protocol followed for reduced vision in one eye is-

1) vision test followed by refraction to look for improvement with glasses
2) examination of the eye under slitlamp to look out for any central corneal opacity which can contribute to reduced vision ( peripheral lesions do not affect vision much , this type of visual impairment is more gradual) .
3) Fundus examination in which the back of the eye is tested such as retina and the optic nerve ( pupils are dilated in this test)

Surely if any cause is there for the reduced vision , it should be picked up in one of these tests.

Thank you and best wishes

Do NOT press the accept button again as you have already done so.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My doctor saw that I had reduced vision at the time of his diagnosis of recurrent epithelial erosion syndrome on July 1st. I thought I would see some improvement by now but I am not. I will be seeing the doc again 7/14. They did not dilate my pupils at my appointment on the 1st but they have at some of my previous visits in the last few months as I have been treated for the earlier mentioned conditions. Do you think I should continue doing as he instructed until 7/14 and just stop worrying?

My prescription on 3/2/10 was: OD -9.75 +5.25 105 3.5 prism up

OS: -8.00 +5.25 0.78 3.5 prism down

I did not get new glasses then because my eye was not fully recovered from my first episode of abrupt vision change. At that time I was seeing my neuro ophthalamagist. He referred me to the retina people at Scheie.

Thank you for the reply.

Your glasses prescription shows nearsightedness ( myopia with high astigmatism ) and is unlikely to show much change within 6 months ( ie from your last eaxm for glasses).
I assume that at the earlier visit to the retina specialist there was no mention of any retina problem. In high myopia the retina is more stretched and can have peripheral degenerations which can be easily picked up on routine retina examination. As long as your vision is not reduced suddenly ( like a curtain or veil in the line of vision causing cloudiness or loss of vision ) , there is no need to worry. But if you do experience the above acute eye symptoms , it is indicative of a retinal detachment and requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist .

So you need not worry if this has been more of a gradual visual impairement due to the corneal erosion. But do get your retina examined at the next visit just to know the status of the retina and its intactness.

Please do not press the accept button as you done so earlier