Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have been diagnosed with recurrent epithelial erosion syndrome

I have been diagnosed with recurrent epithelial erosion syndrome secondary to basement membrane dystrophy. My primary symptom is loss of vision in 1 eye that came on in the morning and fluctuates somewhat throughout the day. My question: what are the statistics for this vision loss going away completely? The doctor has said it almost always recovers but I am concerned because I had this same problem (but undiagnosed) about 1-1/2 months ago and the vision never totally recovered and now that same eye is much, much worse.

Welcome to Just Answer

The exact statistics may not be available , but vision does not go away completely in recurrent corneal erosion syndrome. As must have been explained to you , there is reduced adhesion between the layers of the cornea ( basement membrane of corneal epithelium and underlying stroma ) and can be seen in corneal dystrophies , in diabetic individuals, trauma. In those with corneal dystrophy , vision is usually not affected . Its treatment includes lubrication , debridement , soft bandage contact lenses , and in severe cases superficial epithelial keratectomy or anterior stromal punctures can be done.

If you want to know causes of sudden painless loss of vision in one eye , then the common causes are central retinal artery or vein occlusion, vitreous hemorrhage , retinal detachment , optic neuritis . But recurrent corneal erosion does not cause sudden loss of vision .

The treatment for recurrent corneal erosion is correct but if you have not been evaluated for the sudden loss of vision in one eye , then you must consult your ophthalmologist for the same.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Yes , surely all the necessary investigations would have been done if you have been there for the reduced vision in one eye. The usual protocol followed for reduced vision in one eye is-

1) vision test followed by refraction to look for improvement with glasses
2) examination of the eye under slitlamp to look out for any central corneal opacity which can contribute to reduced vision ( peripheral lesions do not affect vision much , this type of visual impairment is more gradual) .
3) Fundus examination in which the back of the eye is tested such as retina and the optic nerve ( pupils are dilated in this test)

Surely if any cause is there for the reduced vision , it should be picked up in one of these tests.

Thank you and best wishes

Do NOT press the accept button again as you have already done so.

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 7/4/2010 at 2:48 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Are you saying it is unusual for patients with recurrent epithelial erosion syndrome to have loss of vision? When pts with this condition do have loss of vision, in your experience, will the vision return to normal when the erosion heals and the eye is properly moist?

Yes , once the epithelium heals , the vision does improve. With lubrication , mild cases definitely heal . I guess your vision has reduced only recently ( probably wasn't so at your last visit to the ophthalmologist), for which you can wait for the acute corneal erosion to heal and get the eye exmined in detail as mentioned above at your scheduled appointment.